Welcome!

Welcome to my brand new beer blog! If you love beer then this is the blog for you, I will post new reviews, recipies and other interesting snippets right here. The blog will be run in conjunction with my Twitter and youtube accounts. Just search for thebeerbloke! Subscribe and enjoy!

Tuesday 3 April 2012

Ice Cold Beer




It's time for a rant I'm afraid, and this one is about, as you might have guessed from the title, ice cold beer. I just don't get it. Beer is something to be enjoyed, like a good wine, or a single malt whiskey, yet the most popular beers on the market today are sold at temperatures so cold that you genuinely cannot taste a thing when you drink them! Even worse, this is fast becoming the biggest selling point for beer! For example, Coors Light. Any time I watch anything on Youtube now I first have to listen to Jean-Claude Van Damme going on about how his testicles were frozen and even that wasn't as cold as Coors. And he's right, Coors is sold at near freezing, thus it's completely tasteless. Worse than Coors is the truly awful Harp. A speciality of my native Northern Ireland, Harp's big sell is the fact that they have achieved their 'lowest temperature yet', and are now serving their beer at temperatures below zero. In fairness, it's probably for the best that you can't actually taste it. I would dare even Bear Grylls to try a pint of this stuff at room temperature, it really is vile! So, I get why the beer is served so cold, because it's the only way it is at all stomach-able, but I just don't get why people buy it! Yea, it is refreshing on a hot day, but surely a nice bitter IPA would be so much better for quenching that thirst? And better still, an IPA actually tastes of something.

#rantover

1 comment:

  1. The super-chilled fashion is about four years old now. It's about due to end.

    Unfortunately, it'll probably be replaced by slices of fruit in your beer or some other fresh hell.

    Stick to your IPA and don't worry about what anyone else is doing. You won't find too many wine bloggers complaining about Black Tower or Buckfast.

    ReplyDelete